Income Tax Refund
Tenants can claim the Manitoba Education Property Tax Credit if you are a resident of Manitoba at the end of the tax year, and if you meet all of the following conditions:
- you paid rent on a principal residence in Manitoba;
- your occupancy cost was more than $250; and
- you were 16 years of age or older at the end of the year.
IMPORTANT: YOU MUST PROVIDE RECEIPTS OF YOUR RENTAL PAYMENTS. Ensure you get a receipt from the landlord or you will NOT be eligible for a tax credit!
If you need assistance, here are some suggestions:
- The University of Manitoba Students Union assists students in filing their tax returns. Most students are eligible for a tax refund.
- International students can also contact the University of Manitoba’s Centre for International Students for assistance on their tax returns.