Renting Single Family Homes
Renting Single Family Homes around the U of M*
The majority of homes in the Fort Richmond – University Heights area are zoned as ‘single family dwellings (R-1)’. For specific details:
- Visit City of Winnipeg Overview on Zoning
- Enter an address on Winnipeg’s Citizens Information Service to learn how a property is zoned.
While single family dwellings (R-1) zoning is quite restrictive, it is important homeowners have an understanding of what R-1 zoning allows:
- Single family (R-1) zoning allows two ‘leases’ per home
- Ie: a home owner, living in the home, can legally lease a room to a maximum of two borders (and must possess two separate rental leases)
- A single family home can be rented to one lease holder (primary tenant)
- Ie: The one lease holder (primary tenant) can legally lease to a maximum of two borders (and must possess two separate rental leases)
- A single family home can be rented to one leaseholder who can live in and operate the home with a group of people, such as a family.
- Under Canadian law, the definition of a “family” is the subject of shifting interpretations.
NOTE: Zoning identifies the type of home, apartment or business that is allowed in a specific area. However, it is very challenging to know what actually goes on inside a home, and even more difficult to prove living arrangements of the residents. Please refer to a short overview prepared by the City of Winnipeg on Student Housing, Boarders and Rooming Houses.
*This website page is intended to provide a broad overview of the City’s approach to occupancies, but is not a definitive statement of the law.