Become A Street Captain
We are currently seeking volunteer ‘Street Captains’ for each street in Fort Richmond and University Heights. Present, we have approximately 40 people signed up, but we need more volunteers – ideally a Street Captain for every street!
A Street Captain lives on the street they are volunteering to oversee. There is no need for Street Captains to knock on doors, speak to residents, or do inspections. The role is comprised of only two steps:
- The Street Captain will be provided with information Postcards which they hand deliver to each mailbox on their street about twice a year (spring and fall). This Postcard informs residents, tenants and landlords about the Fort Richmond – University Heights Neighbourhood Association, and also points them to our website highlighting their RESPONSIBILITIES for living in the neighbourhood and their RIGHTS as a resident, tenant and landlord.
- The Street Captain also completes the Street Captin Inventory Sheet which is then forwarded to the City Councillor. You can fill out the inventory sheet online or you can print a paper copy here. All of the information you need to fill out on the Inventory Sheet are indicators you can see from standing on the sidewalk. Please do not trespass on private property.
- The City Councillor will work with the City of Winnipeg By-Law Task Force and Taxation division to assist in addressing rental property concerns.
If you need more post cards or inventory sheets you can:
- Contact firstname.lastname@example.org
- Contact Councillor Lukes at email@example.com
- Pop into Richmond Kings Community Centre as they have postcards and an inventory to hand out (Note: Community Centre operates under random summer hours, best to call first(204-269-1908)
- Print off your postcards and inventory directly from this website. Postcards: Here Inventory sheets: Here
- You can submit your inventory sheet online here.
Here is a list of all streets in the Fort Richmond University Heights area. Below you can see which street have street captains and which streets do not. We have over 50 street captains signed up but are still looking for Volunteer Street Captains for the remaining streets. If you live near one of these streets and you’d like to take it on – that would be most helpful. If you know someone who lives on one of these streets, please suggest this volunteer opportunity to them.